An english girl who after six months in the french mountains, has left for Italia, the beautiful country. My thoughts on leaving life as I know it and beyond! Join me as I embark on a life with lots of adventure and a lack of heels!!!!

Thursday 16 September 2010

One of my favourite places in the world.

 
I love to travel. I love to see new places. I love to immerse myself in new cultures. The sights, the sounds and the smells of a new land is just so exciting. I have been very lucky to travel to lots of wonderful places, some have been holidays and some whilst on a gap year but all (well most) have left me with wonderful memories so I thought that I would share some of my favourites with you.

  One very special place was Morocco, this is where Mr and I spent our honeymoon. We had 2 amazing nights in Marrakech then 5 nights on the coast in Essouria. It felt like we were stepping back in time, but with fabulous decor courtesy of Mr & Mrs Smith.

Our beautiful Riad in Marrakech.

Djamaa El Fna

The Majorelle Gardens, home of the late great YSL.
  
   Marrakech  really is an assault on the senses, stunning leathers, towering spices, mountains of olives, glimmering metal work and animal intestines dripping on to the path!!  The amazing thing was that everyone selling their wares be it gorgeous lanterns or scrawny caged chickens co-exists without batting an eyelid. You get the feeling things have'nt changed much here whilst the rest of the world is whizzing by. But then you go for dinner and a huge red velvet curtain is pulled to one side and you enter an incredible dining room that would rival those of  New York or London, whilst next door someone is stoking their coals on the doorstep. Just incredible.


Essouria port.

Our terrace in the ramparts, perfect for a sun downer.
 
    Essouria is little less known which makes it feel like a sleepy fishing town, a very laid back vibe which was very popular in the 60's and 70's with the bohemian crowd and you can see why. Lazy lunches in the afternoon heat overlooking the harbour and strolling along the miles of sandy beach (although a little windy, this is the atlantic after all). Relaxing on the many roof terraces watching the sunset over the medieval ramparts, and all finished off with an incredible meal tucked away down an alleyway in the medina.  Ahh.....
  
   Do you have a favourite place?  And where did you spend your honeymoon?

3 comments:

  1. I never had a honeymoon with either wedding, first one night in the Abbey Motel and second a night at some old Tudor Hotel near Brentwood in Essex, think it was Mary Jane Manor or something? Your pictures look great, it has never appealed to me, but I might change my mind now!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Spent my honeymoon in Positano. Marrakech makes me think of YSL and decadence!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm with Wendy, that's exactly how I feel about Marrakech, Talitha Getty et al. Your riad looks lovely xx

    ReplyDelete

Hello,
Thank you for taking the time to read my blog. I really hope that you enjoyed it! I would love to hear your comments.
E xx