An english girl who after six months in the french mountains, has left for Italia, the beautiful country. My thoughts on leaving life as I know it and beyond! Join me as I embark on a life with lots of adventure and a lack of heels!!!!

Tuesday 22 March 2011

Day 1




Menu du jour

Breakfast- Pancakes with fresh fruit & honey
~
Afternoon tea cake- Lemon drizzle cake
~

Canapes- Prosciutto wrapped figs
Winter vegetable crudités with warm dipping sauce
~

Starter- Chicory salad with Roquefort and walnuts
~

Mains - Chicken in a mushrooms & white wine sauce
Lentil and vegetable casserole (V)
~

Side dishes- Buttery mashed potatoes with fresh herbs
Steamed carrots
Steamed green beans
~

Desert- Vanilla cheesecake




So what do you think of the first day of my week’s menu? This is what I have used as my transfer day menu due to the ease of prepare ahead dishes and longer cooking times. Hardly anything needs to be made at the last minute so will be perfect for delays and a busy day. I am pretty pleased with it, and I am pretty pleased with the results I cooked up. 

Day 1.
Breakfast, Pancakes!

We decided to have pancakes for breakfast on Ash Wednesday as opposed to stuffing ourselves unnecessarily on Shrove Tuesday after our evening meal and it made a good start to my menu trial. The batter was made the night before and left in the fridge. Hugh Fernley-Whittingstall suggests this or leaving at least 30 minutes before cooking. They tuned out perfect. We tried out all the normal topping’s as it was Pancake Day after all, well almost. Lemon and sugar, honey and cinnamon, Nutella (oh so good, but oh so bad!) but found that raspberry coulis with honey and crème fraiche worked particularly well. I would ordinarily make thicker American style pancakes for breakfast but these thinner, crepe style were just as good!  We took it turns to eat and flip the pancakes!! I tried to feed Mr more with my waistline ever in my mind!!!
        
Pancake mix:
Makes approx. 12-14 medium pancakes

* 250g self-raising flour
* Pinch baking powder
* Pinch sea salt
* 25g caster sugar
* 2 medium eggs
* 275ml milk
* 50g butter, melted
* A little sunflower oil



  I shall post a course a day at a time or it will become the longest blog post ever!!!!! Come back for the next installment tomorrow!

2 comments:

  1. mmmm nutella. I love honey & banana on mine. x

    ReplyDelete
  2. OMG, I love it! Every single thing on that menu sounds delicious, apart from figs which I've never tried (I am open to trying anything) but have a feeling I might not like. But wow, I would love to have all of that to eat. They'd be lucky to have you!
    I look forward to the next menu.
    xxx
    Oh and thanks for your comment, I decided to keep the trousers but may leave the tags on and see if I can get the next size up next time I go in. xx

    ReplyDelete

Hello,
Thank you for taking the time to read my blog. I really hope that you enjoyed it! I would love to hear your comments.
E xx